[C320-list] derigging for transport

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 08:37:18 PDT 2012

David-A decent yard would be able to take down the mast without problem.
When my mast is brought down in the fall, the yard has the mast held up by a
crane.  Then all the shrouds and backstays are disconnected and the furling
forestay is disconnected at the bow.  The mast is carefully laid on a cradle
on the deck with the foil still connected to the mast at its top.  The
furling foil is longer than the mast so it sticks out from the base of my
mast considrably when on its side.  For your situation it would be prudent
to consider supporting the furling drum and foil that extend out from the
mast.  I assume the yard would lay the furling foil on the mast for
transport.  If not, it should be well supported however transported as it
can flex a lot and over the road may bend or kink.  If everything is well
supported, I see no need to take the furling drum off.

In 11 seasons from new and 11 seasons of taking down the mast and laying it
on the cradle on top of the boat, I have not had to remove the furling drum.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)