[C320-list] New Batteries

pat reynolds lorasalum at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 10:49:53 PDT 2012

I think I need an aspirin

From: Simon Rock <simonrock at gmail.com>
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [C320-list] New Batteries

Hi Karl,

A quick search shows that Trojan golf cart batteries,
6V - 225 Ahr, so need 4 at $151 each, for a total of $600.
Now, from the info I could find golf cart batteries have a life of 700 to
1000 cycles, and you only run yours down to 75%, so lets go the longer life.

Therefore, 450  x 0.25 = 112Ahr capacity, for 1000 cycles, or 112,000 Ahrs
for $600, or 187 Ahr/$

LiFePo4 batteries have a higher discharge rate and number of cycles.
A 160Ahr battery would provide the same power capacity, but lets go up a
size,
200Ahr, 3.2V, so need four at $283 each, for a total of $1132

Therefore, 200  x 0.6 = 120Ahr capacity, for 3000 cycles, or 360,000 Ahrs
for $1132, or 318 Ahr/$

Ok, I hear you say, my golf cart batteries will be discharged to 50% for
their 700 cycles
Therefore, 450  x 0.5 = 225Ahr capacity, for 700 cycles, or 157,500 Ahrs for
$600, or 263 Ahr/$

With the number of electric cars booming, the prices for these batteries
will continue to drop and push the savings even further.

And they have all the same advantages of the AGM batteries (safety should be
a big factor on any boat).
Oh, and the new models can support good lead acid/gel/agm battery chargers.

Oh - and solar flares usually don't kill them.......

Cheers

Simon Rock
Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

Cat375 #54 Rock The Boat