[C320-list] Battery Charger Wire Size

Welch, Myron D myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Sat Aug 11 20:36:02 PDT 2012

I am about to begin installation of a dedicated start battery and parallel my two 4Ds as the house battery.

I will be changing and installing several new cables and have a question about the wire running from the charger to the house battery. I have a 1995 model with a Xantrex 20 amp charger mounted on the forward bulkhead of the port locker. It has a #10 wires to the battery which I believe is considerably undersized. I believe Catalina changed this wire size on later models. For those of you with newer boats, what size wire is used?

Also, there were no fuses from the charger to the battery. I have now added MRBF fuses. What size fuse should I use?

Thanks for your help.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument, #238
Iowa City, Iowa