[C320-list] Battery Charger Wire Size

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at suddenlink.net
Sun Aug 12 16:16:03 PDT 2012

Each lead from my Xantrex charger is fused at the battery end with a
20A Gould TRM20 inline fuse. According to the literature, they have a
200% rating time delay of 12 seconds.
That seems appropriate as the wire should only see the max output of
the charger TO the batteries, 20A. If the charger fails and somehow
creates a dead short, the 20A fuse will eventually open under the
massive current flowing FROM the batteries.Hopefully before the fire
starts.

I assume your installation of the MRBF (Marine Rated Battery Fuse)
Terminal Fuse is to provide circuit protection for the entire DC
system, not just the battery. I am planning to do the same as this
seems to be a weakness in our installations as well as most boats.
Since you are protecting the entire DC side from excessive current
flow, you will need to estimate the max DC load coming from the
batteries under normal conditions (is it at starting?) and figure out
how long that load will exist (ie. can I use a fuse with some
time-delay characteristics?).
I looked at this some time ago and concluded that I would need a 150A
fuse to avoid tripping with the starting current on top of the other
loads at the time of starting. Anyone else looked into this and have a
different answer?

Karl