[C320-list] Another Yammer 27 question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:34:23 PDT 2012

Ditto, congrats on your new boat.
Of course you should direct such questions to a Yanmar qualified technician
and your Yanmar manual.  That said, common wisdom is diesels run best at
about 80% of max. rpm and that may be different for different engines. For
mine, that equates to 2800.  There should be a "power curve" associated with
your engine that will show fuel consumption vs. rpm.  From that, you can
decide what would be your preferred cruising rpm.
Diesels like to be run hard.  Extended operation at lower rpm's cause
insufficient fuel combustion, carbon build-up in the engine and mixing
elbow, and smoky exhaust.
It might be a good idea to consider calibrating your tachometer.  The C320
tool loaner has (or did have) an optical tachometer for that purpose.
Good luck, pay your dues and check this list often.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"