[C320-list] ANCHOR ISSUES

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 14:34:08 PST 2012

I never had a problem with that Fortress anchor, it never broke-out on me.
It may have turned and reset during a night; but, I was never aware of
dragging.  I was very pleased with it.  Various tests by experts over the
years have spoken well for Fortress.  That said, some of the newer anchor
types may set faster and hold better; but, here on the Chesapeake where the
bottoms are nearly all mud (hard and soft) I think the Fortress is a good
value.
The only problem I ever had with it was the first time I used it.  We were
on Fairlee Cr. where, as you know, the bottom is soft mud.  It was night and
the dang thing wouldn't set.  I must have attempted three times before I
pulled it up on deck to inspect it.  There, in the crown, was a clam shell
in just such a position that the flukes wouldn't rotate.  After that was
cleared, it set easily and we had a quiet night.  So there you have it.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"