[C320-list] Replacement sails and other upgrades

Dick Walker dickwalker at att.net
Sat Dec 15 14:46:12 PST 2012

Alan how can I call you

Dick Walker
WindWalkerII #687
619.435.8986

.

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com
[mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Alan Goodman
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:36 PM
To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com
Subject: [C320-list] Replacement sails and other upgrades

I have the original sails (hull 67 1994) and while I considered moving to a
bigger boat (C400), I decided to keep the C320.  So now I am going to have
to make the expense (is anything spent on a boat ever an investment?) for
several upgrades.  I would appreciate your feedback as to how to go and what
you may have paid for a similar upgrade.

I almost pulled the trigger earlier this month while Catalina Direct had a
15% off discount on sails, but with only a day left before the sale expired
I felt rushed and did not order them.  CD sells Ullman sails from a Ventura
CA loft.  I am a Great Lakes cruiser (similar to coastal ocean conditions),
so I am interested in Dacron, about 7.0 oz.  I currently have full battens
and a bolt rope foot.  I also have the Dutchman flaking system, and CD
wanted $500 extra to install the plastic disks/grommets in the sail.  That
seemed a bit excessive to me.  Most likely I will be moving to a bigger boat
in about 4 years (full retirement afloat), if that affects your
recommendations.  Do any of the racers on the forum have gently used Dacron
sails they might wish to part with?  Does anyone single hand a slab flaked
main without a Dutchman or Lazy jacks?   The head sail seems to me to be an
easier choice (less decisions).  Same fabric weight as the main, foam luff,
leach and foot cords, etc.  I am looking for thoughts based upon value ...
i.e. price to performance.

I also am going to have new interior cushions made for the salon.  Any
recommendations as to foam density, foam thickness, other issues I may not
be thinking about?  My OEM settee and dinette cushions extend beyond the
leading edge (i.e. overhang) of the fiberglass bench structure but do not
provide any support.  The edge of these cushions simply roll down behind my
calves and are uncomfortable.  Anyone have new cushions made that are flush
with the leading edge of the fiberglass bench structure?  Any thoughts about
why it might be a good or bad idea?  Also, anyone have any price information
as to what I should expect to pay (I'll be taking the existing cushions
around for quotes right after the new year).

Lastly, I bought a tufted topper for the aft berth cushions but still don't
find the sleeping conditions comfortable.  So I will definitely be
purchasing a mattress.  Options are foam or coil spring (I also tried a
Coleman air mattress, but it felt way too cold in the early spring and late
fall).  Again, any advice thoughts appreciated.

That probably exhausts my boat budget for the upcoming year  ...  air
conditioning and a below deck autopilot are in my dreams.
  		 	   		  =