[C320-list] Replacement sails and other upgrades

Welch, Myron D myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 17 22:07:47 PST 2012

Jeff,

My experience was just the opposite. After talking to the Dutchman representative at Strictly Sail – Chicago several years ago, he suggested that since I have zippers for the Dutchman line
in the sail cover, I should be using the single line. I replaced the clothesline mechanism with a small, coated stainless steel line. After raising the saiI I slack it off about 6 inches. When lowering the sail, I loosen the vang and mainsheet, retighten the topping lift, retighten the vang and mainsheet, and flake the sail. It works fine for me and perhaps it is because I do not have to drop the lines each time.

Although several have removed their Dutchman system or installed lazy jacks, I like the Dutchman, particularly with this single line set up. What works best for my cruising style on the Great Lakes may not work well for someone else.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument, #238
Iowa City, Iowa
Grace Memorial Harbor