[C320-list] Lewmar ST winch issue

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:06:44 PST 2012

Perhaps the material the jaws are made of is aged and become less flexible
(I have that same problem with my back.)  I bet you can get new jaws.

On the servicing of wenches, I agree every year is overkill.  I do mine
every 2-3 years and they need some attention by then.  Lewmar suggests using
lamp oil (liquid paraffin,) as a degreasing agent and cleaner for the wench
internals.  It's very easy to use and effective.  I use light grease on the
bearings and gears; but, only light machine oil on the pawls and springs.
Using grease on the pawls and springs will cause them to stop working too
soon as the grease thickens with age.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"