[C320-list] Catalina 320 spun-bound polyester

Yam B yamixyz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 09:58:22 PST 2012

Here is a link for the Volvo MD2030A  version of Perkins M30. They have
nice drawing and it did help me a lot when I want to take things apart. It
also helped me to compare prices and search for cheapest part on the
internet . I coud not find Perkins part number online I guess it is
a graded secret or something

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7746800.aspx

To me the parts look very identical to Perkins but I can not be 100% sure.
My understanding is this engine is actually designed in Japan and then
solid the license to Perkins and then Volvo.

Here where I based my informations from:

 http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/EngineDerivations.aspx

Quoting :

"Your engine is what Perkins calls a 103-10. Perkins started importing
these 100 series engines from a Japanese company called Ishikawajima
Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. nearly twenty years ago. ISM is part of
Ishikawajima Harima Industries, one of Japan’s largest industrial
companies. Perkins marketed this engine in a marinised version as the
Perama M30. They sold the engine to Volvo Penta who marketed it as their
MD2030. They also sold the engine to Massey Ferguson, McCormick, Terramite,
Textron, Jacobsen, Cushman, Vermeer, Leech Lewis, JCB, Kobelco, and
Northern Lights to name just a few. In the US, the engine was distributed
through Detroit Diesel – Allison which is closely tied to the MTU
conglomerate. By 1996, Perkins had become so successful at marketing these
engines to other equipment manufacturers that they formed a joint venture
with ISM called Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd. and began assembling the
engines at the Perkins facility in Peterborough, UK from parts shipped from
Japan. In 1997, Perkins was acquired by Caterpillar. With an added boost
from Caterpillar, this little engine has become one of the most popular
engines in the world. It’s used in turf equipment, tractors,
mini-excavators, brush choppers, compressors, welders, pumps, generators,
etc. etc. etc. Even Caterpillar uses it in some of their smaller equipment.
The “Perkins” name was highlighted on the engine ID plate which is located
on a distinctive boss just forward of the injection pump. The 2006 model
year’s production of the engine has “Shibaura” highlighted on the ID plate.
In 2001, the larger Shibaura 400 series engine was introduced with
assembling at Peterborough, UK from parts mostly from Japan, and in June,
2004 assembling of the 400 series engine began at a Caterpillar facility in
Griffin, Georgia, USA with production exceeding 100,000 units per year."