[C320-list] Emergency Tiller!!?!

Ken Danko 320kend at att.net
Thu Feb 9 14:42:15 PST 2012

I have actually lost my steering twice and had to use the emergency
tiller in both cases. I agree that it is not easy to use. But when the
pressure was on and I had to get Grace out of the shipping lane, I
managed to do so with the emergency tiller. The trick is to get used to
the very small movements of the tiller necessary to steer. Over-steering
is very easy with the tiller, and very hard to correct.

I want to second the idea that the cables need to be inspected
regularly. Unfortunately, to inspect them completely they need to be
removed from the quadrant. I had a catastrophic cable failure. Pictures
of the broken cable are on the 320 web site so that others know where to
look for wear.

Ken Danko
Grace, San Francisco