[C320-list] New Catalina 315

Chuck and Kathy Mueller katchu at chartermi.net
Sat Jan 28 10:04:01 PST 2012

I had the opportunity to see the new Catalina 315 at the Chicago Strictly
Sail Show yesterday.  Based on the hull info, it appears that the hull is
identical to the C309 and C310, but smaller than our beloved C320's.

Likes:
 - Catalina has added an aluminum toe rail to the 315, 355, 385, and 445.
There are rollers near the cleats.  Much easier to add a snatch block now.
-  The rubber rub strip has been replaced with a rub rail mounted lower on
the hull.  It looks good, but may not provide as much protection.
-  The port cockpit locker is larger
- The Nav area is more computer friendly and the electrical panel was
covered, as I recall.
- There are some nice privacy screens over the ports in the main cabin
- There is no cutlass bearing support anymore, as that is all glassed into a
skeg like the Beneteau's

Dislikes
 - The head has been moved forward to port.  Not as accessible from the
cockpit
 - The V berth is larger, but the entrance to it is very narrow due to the
head location.  It's hard to get into the V-berth.  This was my biggest
complaint.
-  The rear berth is much smaller, where the space ws moved to the port
cockpit locker
- Engine size reduced to 21 HP

I'm curious as to other reactions, but for now our C320's seem like a lot
more boat.

Chuck Mueller
Northwind #676
Holland, MI