[C320-list] Tuning Hood jib furling

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun Jan 8 13:01:07 PST 2012

My boat is on the hard, so I can't go sailing to verify, but I think
this is normal. The luff of a properly trimmed genoa will twist off more
at the head because the true wind is stronger there, and so the apparent
wind is further aft. With a rigid foil this tends to twist the lower
part of the foil further off the wind than is optimal. In essence the
top of the sail and the bottom want to be at different angles and so the
sail is trying to twist an un-twistable foil. What you are seeing is
that the head is "winning" the battle.

But this only affects the first inch or so of the luff, and only towards
the foot. I'd be surprised if it affects your pointing enough to notice.
You can check this by twisting the foil manually, as you have tried
already, and checking whether this affects the telltales on either side,
high or low. I'll bet the small amount of foil twist that we are talking
about has almost no effect.

Of course you might also have a damaged foil. Inspect carefully, and
never use a winch to furl the sail as this can damage the furling unit
and/or headstay.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653