[C320-list] Inflatable dinghy

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:31:55 PDT 2012

We bought an AquaDutch model 245 5 years ago and are very happy with it.
Unfortunately, it seems they dropped out of the US market.  It is about 8'4"
with HP air deck and inflatable keel and one bench seat.  Best features are
15" tubes and rising bow keep passengers less wet in choppy water.
At 75lbs ready-to-go, I use a 4-part block and tackle to haul it over the
lifelines onto the fore deck where it just about fits.  It does get in the
way of line handling.  Mostly we tow it on a bridle.  It rides best directly
behind the transom on top of the stern wave.  We don't try to muscle it into
the cockpit locker.  On starting a cruise, we might tie it on-deck ahead of
the mast until needed.  Once launched, it's towed.
If storing on-deck inflated, use some kind of chafe gear where the boat
contacts the deck otherwise you can get too much wear on the skin.
Wish I had davits; but, am concerned about too much junk hanging off the
stern getting in the way.
When I'm alone in the dink, I find I can steer it by leaving the motor
centered and leaning side to side.  Great fun and I can sit facing forward
and get to where I'm going keeping a good watch.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"