[C320-list] Phantom leak

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 12:58:16 PDT 2012

Keep in mind that this situation may only apply to the older hulls with the
separately bonded grid structure.  Log onto Catalina320.com and search
"shallow bilge."  Download the PDf there.
For a long time, we had leaks producing water in various places. I don't
seem to have any now, so I think I can give some clues.  Any water that get
in the space between the liner and hull may find its way into: galley space,
battery/holding tank area, under the galley deck.  However, there are some
spaces that don't drain to the bilge pump: anything forward of the mast, and
small spaces on starboard side under the salon floor.
Worse was a leaking shower hose in the head.  Water still flowed from the
faucet; but, was leaking from the hose connection to the supply under the
sink.  All this water drained out of the area under the head sink into the
hull space.  When healed, this water would find its way into the space under
the batteries, wash around to under the holding tank where it was trapped.
I'd have to pump it from there.  Once the hose was replaced that problem was
over.
The other was water appearing in the space under the small seat in the aft
cabin, and in the storage space starboard under the bunk.  I never did track
the source; but, once I removed the gasket material from the exterior port
frame joints and resealed with BoatLife, the leak disappeared.
One way to find the leak is to isolate the compartments.  I used an
electrician's putty I bought in Lowes.  Plug every hole into and out of a
space: around wires, hoses, etc.  If you can't isolate the space, use a rag
or sponge to trap the water as it moves through. Be sure to check it often.
Hope this helps
Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"