[C320-list] X5 Autopilot

Jim Sweet jamesweet at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 10 05:48:42 PDT 2012

Mike,

I replaced mine last year because the control head died.  I put the computer
unit in the aft cabin over the little shelf to starboard of the steering
mechanism and it seems to be fine.  The wiring question is a bit foggy in my
memory.  I do remember having a bitch of a time pulling the wires through
the pedestal because the original install of the previous unit included
sealing the pedestal tubes with about 4" of silicone that had to be dug out
to get the wires through.  I know that the power wires were fine but I think
that I had to route some of the wiring to the computer down.  I would also
replace the control head (that's what went on mine).  I think that the new
unit is vastly superior to the old one as far as course keeping ability.  I
had a very old ST4000 on a Pearson 332 that was a very good unit but the
original ST4000 on the 320 never kept a straight course like on the Pearson
and I fooled with it for 9 years.  The X5 performs like the old ST4000 on
the Pearson.  BTW, I did manage to sell the old unit to a guy on ebay that
repaired the units (If I had found him prior to plunking down $1300 for the
X5 I probably would have had him repair my head unit) so you may want to see
if he can repair your unit or is willing to buy it for parts.  I think that
he gave me around $500 for mine.  His email is Dan Gerhardt
<c250 at mydurango.net>.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jim Sweet
TGIF (Thank God It Floats) 901