[C320-list] Anchor Windlass Capability

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jul 13 06:56:32 PDT 2012

Thanks everyone for your responses.  The Maxwell website lists the pulling
capability of the VC-500 at 660 lbs.  I found a couple of websites wherein
the authors presented extensive studies of wind force on anchored boats.
ABYC also has formulas for calculating the wind force on anchored boats.
ABYC calculations suggest for a sailboat the size of a C320, the winds, to
reach the 660 lbs. pull on the anchor rode, would be about 27kts.  Both of
the studies said that ABYC formulas were very conservative, on the order of
a safety factor of 3 in normal conditions.  However, when waves were over 3
ft., then additional dynamic forces come into play, and at that point, the
ABYC formula predicted a something less than the real formulas.  Current was
not a significant issue, and even a 6 kt. current was only equivalent to a
15 kt. wind.

Since I most often single hand, or have on board persons who are not well
versed in boat handling, it is difficult/risky to attempt to motor forward
while I am at the bow taking in the anchor.  Based on all the information
that has been provided, I plan to start using the anchor windlass to get the
anchor and rode on board without trying to motor forward...just have the
engine idling out of gear, so we ready to go when the anchor is up.  I
shouldn't be tripping breakers under those conditions.  I'm not sure why the
owners manuals say to move the boat forward with the engine (easy to do with
two experienced persons however).   The chain and nylon of my rodes are
spliced, so I think I will let the windlass lift the chain and anchor even
though I don't have a chain gypsy. Again, thanks.