[C320-list] Fresh Water Tank Valves

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jul 20 19:29:05 PDT 2012

Colin,

If you use the same plumbing arrangement I showed at the end of the article
in this location under the galley sink,  you shouldn't need any additional
whale fittings or valves to do the project.  I just moved the ones (almost
in the same arrangement) from the back to the front.  (But I could be
mistaken)

With that arrangement you can reach in without looking and switch tanks
easily by feel..  You'll never forget which one is which because the forward
tank is controlled by the front valve and the aft tank is controlled by the
valve just behind it.

http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=2008111616131836
http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=20081116161236590

However you would need to find a length of the (15mm ? ) PEX hose to be
compatible with the whale fittings.
I had no problems at all feeding the new line from the aft tank forward to
the galley sink and that allowed avoiding the big loop with the extra
fittings and made everything tidy.

One other super nice upgrade while doing this project is to replace the
jabsco water pump with a Jabsco VSD pump.  It's nearly silent which is nice
if you use any water late at night.  I also added a 1 gallon expansion tank
back by the pump which further reduces pump cycling and allows for a liter
or so of water without the pump breaker being turned on.  Nice if you're in
the head and forgot to turn on the switch first.

-Jeff