[C320-list] water pump won't shut up

Gary Magnuson gary.magnuson at frontier.com
Sat Jul 21 14:31:17 PDT 2012

Good morning Nat,
As I understand our systems, the water pump is a pressure demand pump
that starts when it recognizes a drop in system pressure by opening the
faucet valve. If the tank is dry, then the pump cannot pull water into
the piping to bring the pressure back to the cutoff point.  Since you
had to pull the wire off the back of the panel pump switch, it is
possible you have a bad switch.  To test the panel switch, use a meter
or a test lamp across the contacts in both the open and closed position
and see if you have continuity.  You should read a short when the switch
is on and an open when the switch is off.   If the readings are the
same, the switch is bad. But you should be able to still operate the
system if the pump pressure switch is still working.  In order to test
that, I would fill the tank so that the pump has the water it needs to
pressurize the system.  (verify that the pump strainer is clean,  I
found mine to be fouled with plastic shavings and other stuff in the
past. When it is clogged, it will not allow the pump to prime and build
the pressure it needs to satisfy the pressure switch.  With the tank
filled and strainer clean, start the pump again and see if it will prime
and come back up to pressure.   With the tank filled, it should
re-pressurize and shut off when the water pressure rebuilds. The sink
faucet valve just is the way we drop the pressure to start the pump and
stop the water flow in order for the pump to rebuild the pressure
necessary to activate the pressure switch.

Sorry for the long winded answer.  I hope it made sense...
Good luck,
Gary Magnuson,
#205   Time A Weigh