[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

Barry Parker bparkeresq at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 21:53:27 PDT 2012

HI Ken,

Like you and Dennis, I have been using different main and jib configurations in the high winds of the Bay.  (For cruising, not racing).  I have owned Fogdog for three years and I found a 120% Genoa too much sail for the high wind months on the Bay.    I switched to a Doyle 90%  blade and just love it!   It's as close to a self-tacking jib as I think we can get with the stock set-up.  I single hand a lot and I don't have an autopilot, so I have to be extra cautious when the winds pick up above 15 knots.  I find on downwind legs (broad reach to running) in over 20 knots, my 90% blade jib is plenty of engine for a comfortable cruise and provides good steerage with a big following sea.  I have used the main alone up to 30 knots (double reef) and even with the traveller hard over to control heel, steerage becomes difficult in 4-5 foot following seas.   On a beam reach or close haul, I like the main up (one reef in t5-20 knots of wind and two reefs in over 20 knots) and I will take in the jib or let out 1/4, 1/3 to 1/2 depending on how close-up I'm pointing.  With only 3 years of Bay sailing I am still learning, so I welcome to hear what others have to say.

Barry Parker
Fogdog #224
Brisbane Marina