[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 1455, Issue 1

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 13:12:01 PDT 2012

While waiting for an answer to Rollie's question, I developed a severe leak in my aqua lift muffler at 1100 hours while on an extended trip last summer.  the leak occurred at the seam between the bottom flat panel and at one of the sides of the muffler box.  (think of the muffler as an inverted shoe box without any side flaps on the cover).   Being 150 miles from home and in the middle of nowhere with a leak that caused the bilge pump to run 50% of the time, I decided I had no choice but to make an "in-field repair".  Once the muffle was removed, the crack was very apparent to the naked eye, but I found that using the
 pressure side of my shop vac pressurized the muffler enough to open up
the crack and help confirm the extent of the failure and that there was not a second failure site.  Perhaps if your leak is in the same place, you can save your existing muffler.  I have about a 100 hours on the repair and still (knock on wood) absolutely no leakage.  I used a dremel to rout out the seam (but not all the way through) being careful to not remove any of the side portion of the muffler box (so rout at the seam removing from the flat bottom panel and just rough up the side portion to provide a good surface for adhesion.  depending on the seam width, you are generally removing old factory adhesive.  My first repair failed after 10 or so engine hours  ... the first epoxy I used (all I had with me in the middle of nowhere) was not suitable for continuous contact with water or elevated temperature. I will be at the boat this weekend and can check the epoxy I successfully used.  the hardest part of the repair is removing the muffler without breaking the inlet and outlet tubes where they attach to the muffler box (should that happen, you are sunk (pun intended).  That cannot be repaired since it requires access to the inside of the muffler during initial manufacture.)  I ended up removing the exhaust elbow and then the muffler so as to limit the stress on the outlet tubes where they attach to the muffler box.  This provided me an opportunity to inspect and clean the exhaust elbow.  Feel free to contact me off list.
Alan Holland MI hull #67.