[C320-list] Water Tank Gunk

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 19:04:46 PDT 2012

Wow! Mold problem in Wisconsin.  Who'd a thought it.  I stopped using pink
antifreeze several years ago and am happy.  I vac out the tanks in the fall
leaving the inspection cap off until the tanks dry.  I blow out the lines
with a reverse vac.  We also use a winter heater to keep the humidity down.
In the Spring I follow the Catalina recipe for purifying the tanks.  Every
time I fill the tanks I add 1/4 cup of bleach.  I've installed a water
filter between the tanks and the pump designed to remove chlorine and other
stuff.  I've replace some water hose; but, most is the original: 18 years
old.  The water is clear, clean, and drinkable.

Mildew and mold is a bitch.  Once it get hold, it is extremely difficult to
completely remove.  Short of a professional treatment, there is a product
(like an insect balm,) that can be released in a closed boat that is
supposed to kill mold and mildew.  I don't remember the name but maybe you
can Google it.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"