[C320-list] Schaefer 2100 furler bearing replacement

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jun 20 07:44:55 PDT 2012

I had this problem a few years ago and solved it by properly flushing
the bottom unit bearings with water.  It made a huge difference and I
couldn't believe how much sand came out. Properly flushing the lower
unit bearings requires more than just unfurling. You need to remove the
drum and the lower part of the furler to get good access to both the
upper and lower bearings on the lower unit. And that in turn requires
properly supporting the foil with a halyard. However there are good
instructions in the manual.

Flushing from below does not get much water into the top bearing if you
don't disassemble anything, especially if it is already blocked with crud.

To be clear, I am referring to the upper set of bearings inside the
lower unit, not the part that goes up and down the foil when you
hoist/lower the sail. These bearings are buried deep inside the lower unit.

BTW, the drum and the bearings are completely separate parts. Swapping
out just the drum will not solve this problem.

Scott
Surprise #653