[C320-list] Schaefer 2100 furler bearing replacement

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 14:09:45 PDT 2012

Thanks Danny

Can't wait to read it

Thanks
Chris Burti
From: danny jensen
Sent: 6/23/2012 4:21 PM
To: C320-List at catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Schaefer 2100 furler bearing replacement
Dear Group,
Chris asked me to take pictures of my project for a Mainsheet article.
The following links to a draft document with many pictures.
http://www.mammothcondos.com/2100-c320.pdf

Thanks for all your comments. I bought my boat last year and I really
appreciate your help on several of my projects.

The following is a text only draft. The .pdf link is much better and
I'll be editing the .pdf version as find errors.

Schaefer 2100 roller furler drum replacement on Catalina 320
Danny Jensen, A BOA VIDA hull #972, Thanks to contributions Chris Burti,
Jeff Hare and C320 group for comments
Photos were taken and edited with iphone app My Measures.

Symptom:
The basic symptom is your sail will not roll in or out without force.
The drum unit is hard to turn. Your sail will not roll out on it's own.

Causes:
The cause of this problem is years of salt and sand encrusting in the
upper and lower bearings. Some owners feel that the bearings are ruined
when encrusted bearings are forced by the use of a winch.Schaefer has
attempted to prevent this problem by a minor redesign of the drum
assembly to create a wash hole. My furling hull #972 drum did not have a
wash hold. Some owners also sail the older bearings had tighter
tolerances so these bearings were more apt to clog with junk.

Replacement Instructions:

What you need before you start:
1.	Call Schaefer 508 995-9511 and request a replacement 2100 furler
drum bearing assembly part # 33-049-A. They will also provide you with
qty 4 part number 22-313 drum screws and Installation instructions
(http://www.furling.com/JibFurlingInstallationInstructions.pdf) . Have
your credit card ready. Allow 5 working days for delivery. Here is
another drawing of the system http://www.furling.com/overview.html
2.	Channel lock pliers - use the tail of pliers on turnbuckle
3.	Adjustable wrench - for head stay
4.	Large slotted screw driver - for turnbuckle
5.	Phillips screwdriver
6.	Knife - to cut and reverse furling line
7.	Allen wrenches / Allen screwdriver is best
8.	Needle nose pliers
9.	Sharpe marker - mark turnbuckle,
10.	Hammer
11.	Vise grips
12.	Winch grease / wd40
13.	Anti seize - Use on all screw holes use wench grease if you
don't have this
14.	Rags / Small Containers / Boxes for small parts
15.	A few 5 ft segments of line and a shackle
16.	About 3 hrs of time when wind is not howling just in case things
go wrong
17.	Good spray nozzle - Use for bearings that attach to the halyard
clean them while your sail is down.
18.	Optional - Spare cotter pins

Everything below has been covered in the Catalina 320 news group or is
contained in the manual. Here my recollection of the procedure I
followed.  Make sure you look at the manual.  My instructions that
follow are not as detailed as the manual after reading owner comments
and the manual.
1.	Pull your boat up to the forward edge of your slip using a
spring line. It is best if the bow overhangs the dock.
2.	Mark the top part of the torque tube above the clamp where
screws lock the tube against the head foil.
3.	Take a picture of your furling unit with the furling line run
through it. This way you can duplicate the lead and the gage housing
position.
4.	Before unfurling the sail, mark the cockpit end of the rolling
furling line.
5.	Unfurl the sail and take a picture of the unfurled drum
6.	Lower and remove the sail and tie with sail ties
7.	With a short line, rig a rolling hitch around the head foil just
below the feeder and tie to the spinnaker halyard and tension with the
winch. Your hitch should be just below the feeder.
8.	Run the jib halyard through the forward cleat and tie it around
itself then tension the halyard with the wench after loosening the
backstay. This will be your new head stay.
9.	Remove stainless cage / guide by loosening 2 screws at base
10.	Remove top and bottom plates. Clean them and apply light grease
to inside edge.
11.	Loosen 4 bolts securing the head foil tube.
12.	Remove allen stop pin. Your head stay may be resting on this.
This pin should be flush with surface of the tube and you will replace
it flush. Don't over tighten on reassembly!
13.	Remove 4 fasteners in inside drum. This bolts are replaced with
new bolts in the kit has replacement bolts.
14.	Lift the tube off the drum about 18 inches and tighten screws
holding tube in place
15.	Remove the pin securing the drum assembly to the fore stay. Look
at the exact profile of the cotter pins. If these cotter pins extend too
far, your cage guide will not rotate correctly on reassembly
16.	Lube and clean turnbuckle. Loosen turnbuckle with adjustable
wrench on head stay and large screwdriver.
17.	Use small line with small shackle. Attach shackle to head stay
and tie line off to anchor support sprit. This will help you re-attach
the head stay later and it will prevent the head stay from going mid
ship.
18.	Release head stay pin freeing head stay.
19.	Remove old assembly and put new assembly on head stay
20.	Use the line with shackle you rigged on the head stay to pull
down and while you insert the head stay pin. You can do this by yourself
but it is a bit difficult.
21.	Reassemble in reverse order. Swap ends of furling line
22.	Flush top bearing connected to halyard with high-pressure hose

Danny
A BOA Vida #972