[C320-list] Water in fuel

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jun 25 14:12:51 PDT 2012

Mark,

While I have not experienced excessive water in the fuel tank on our 1995
320 over the last 18 seasons, I have schedule a preventative measure by
periodically removing the very bottom level of fuel/water/gunk from the tank
every 4-5 years. I open up the fuel tank and insert a vacuum pump tube
(using a Topsider Pump) to draw an inch or so of fuel from the bottom of the
tank. The task is easy to perform by first removing the storage shelf in the
starboard aft locker and then removing the return line fuel fitting that is
easily accessible from the top of the tank. The small amount of water that
enters the system between the 4-5 year bottom draw cycles is captured by &
removed from, the Racor fuel filter bowel. I periodically use a biocide and
a Cetane booster/fuel treatment additive called Diesel Kleen that is also
supposed to disperse water in diesel fuel. There are a variety of additives
available, but must avoid using too much of a good thing that may attack
fuel system seals/o-rings, etc.

 I suspect that the small amount of water I have removed from the tank is
either due to condensation or from the fuel dock station storage tank.
Sounds like your tank received a good dose of water from a mistaken water
fill, or your tank has simply gained so much water from prior owners running
a low amount of fuel in the tank rather than avoiding condensation
accumulation over the last 18 years. I attempt to keep the fuel tank topped
off in the off season and fill when below 1/2 tank during the season.  My
primary concern was not just water in the fuel only, but the increased risk
of corrosion from the inside of the tank from if a large amount of water is
present ( a few years back there were some owners reporting tank
leakage/corrosion issues on the earlier models).

 To avoid the problem of mistakenly filling the fuel tank with water, I
simply brush painted the fuel filler cap with latex white so it stands out,
even in the dark.

Rick
My-Ria #277