[C320-list] Electrical Problem - Apparently not getting enough current to the fuel pump

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed May 2 17:27:49 PDT 2012

Hello Problem Solvers – I need some help & direction:

Launched today and learned that the fuel pump is not functioning (pump not
clicking as it normally should operate). The pump ran fine at the end of
last he season.

Got the boat into my slip thanks to having a full tank with gravity feeding
the engine. When I tested my spare pump using the existing pump power leads
just to be certain the replacement pump was working before removed the fuel
lines to the old pump, I learned that the replacement pump would not
run(click), so I double checked that replacement pump by placing the
replacement pump leads directly  on the battery and it ran! Of course my
next step was to run 12 volts leads directly to the old pump and it ran just
fine (repetitiously clicked as normal)

..so what gives?

Where should I begin looking for the problem because I am apparently not
getting enough power to the fuel pump? When the power to the pump is
interrupted while the ignition key is turned on, the  ignition buzzer stops
and when I reconnect the leads to the old pump with the ignition on, the
buzzer goes off as normal but the pump will not run (click).

Do I have a ground problem or could the ignition switch be the source of the
problem since that is where the power is flowing through? While I have a
Westerbeke 30B, I expect that the source of the 12 volt current is the  same
for any engine connected to the instrument panel.

I can run the engine as long as the fuel tank is above ¾ to ½ full so that
the fuel level is higher than the pump/engine. I could  also run 12 volt
power leads to the pump to limp by until the electrical problem is solved.

Help!!! Your thoughts please

Thanks

Rick

My-Ria  #277