[C320-list] Prop Shaft Install

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Sun May 6 15:40:53 PDT 2012

Hi Guys,

After reading many past postings on installing a new prop shaft without
pulling the rudder, I had to give it a try. Needless to say I was not
successful. With the rudder in palace I can insert the shaft through the
strut and get it to the shaft log opening but it is not centered on the
opening, about 2 inches left or right depending on which side of the
rudder I start with.  At this point the shaft is hard against the rudder
and I still need to go another 6 inches or so to clear the rudder.

It might be possible to bend the shaft towards the log opening and get
it started but then there is too much pressure on the shaft and I can
not push it any further.  Tried using a hammer to bang it in but again,
no success.

So, it looks like I will need to drop the rudder and put the boat into a
sling while inserting the new shaft.  Is dropping the rudder a difficult
task?  It looks like  it would be something I could not handle alone.

Has anyone done this?

Randy

Le Bijou #719