[C320-list] Depth gauge callibration check

wflowe3 at aim.com wflowe3 at aim.com
Wed May 9 07:21:23 PDT 2012

I had the boat on my trailer over winter and did a bottom job (sand/paint) before getting it back in the water. Everything seemed to work OK except the depth gauge.  It read 7' in the slip and the number kept bouncing around. Once the boat was out on the lake , the readings stabilized and looked reasonable.  Back in the slip--7'. I used a weighted cloth tape and measured the bottom at 27' but the gauge still didn't work.  I've had several good windy daysails this season but was still leery about the accuracy of my depth instrument until last Saturday.  I was sailing in 20kts with a reefed main and shortened headsail making good (6 kt+) speed when all of a sudden, just after a tack, the boat slowed dramatically. One glance at the depth gauge showed the problem, I was in 5.8' of water and my fin keel needs 6.2'.   Fortunately it was a mud bottom and with the good wind aided by my engine, we were able to push on through to deeper water.

I feel much better about the gauges accuracy now.

Don't try this at home!

Bill
Papillon #1146.