[C320-list] Schaefer 2100 Furling System Stop Pin

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 09:15:40 PDT 2012

Early this spring I disassembled the lower drum assembly on my Schaefer to due
some PM and check the bearings.  I have never done this to this system and the
unit was laying on the ground and not under any load or stress, I have also had
no issues with Schaefer furler in the past.  Following the manual, I
disassembled the lower unit  without issue and I adjusted the Catalina
turnbuckle located inside.  When I reassembled the lower unit the stop pin would
not thread all the way into the Torque tube.  I could see that the stop pin was
hitting a foil assembly.  No matter what I did I could not find the old hole in
the foil to accept the stop pin completely and I concluded that after adjusting
the turnbuckle the old hole had now shifted inside the torque tube and I would
need to drill a new one; which I did.   After we launched, I notice that the
Schaefer furler now had a very noticeable bind in one spot while rotating.
Following some choice descriptive words, best not identified for this discussion
group, that I  focused at myself, I concluded that I must have tighten the stop
pin to tight and it was binding against the forestay.  I removed the stop pin
and hallelujah my Schaefer spins as it once did.  Now after all this verbage you
have got to wonder what the hell is my question, which is: What does the stop
pin do ?   According to the manual it keeps the foils from falling down the
touque tube and riding on the forestay turnbuckle.  In my system the foils
already ride on the top of the turnbuckle and maybe this is what Catalina
intended since their turnbuckle have a neat cyclinder shape and therefore would
not bind like a foil could on a typical beveled-headed turnbuckle.  Have I quess
right and feedback ?

Mike Ott
'Amanda Lu'