[C320-list] one bad cylinder

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 05:40:47 PDT 2012

Ken, you don't say how many hours are on your Perkins.  I'd like to know
that.
I don't consider myself an engine expert so take this for what it's worth.
Let's presume the problem is with the valve train and not rings or other.
Once you have the head off, would it not be prudent to do a complete valve
job and have the injectors checked?  In doing that, I believe it is
recommended to have the head milled to original tolerances.  Replacing the
head requires the proper gasket and torqueing to specs.
I wonder what would be the cost of this job vs removal and overhaul vs new
engine?  Anyone been through this?
Our Perkins is 18 yrs old, has 1,800+ hrs, burns little oil, exhaust is
clear, starts easily.  In short, I consider us lucky.  Yet, I've heard that
with proper care these engines can go thousands of hours without trouble.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"