[C320-list] battery / charger issue

Chris Descher cdescher at cedtulsa.com
Wed May 16 06:12:04 PDT 2012

I really appreciate all the help on this.  Here's more information.

The air and water temperatures are in the mid 70s.  My engine's got 270
hours.  I have the OEM alternator.  I have two batteries:  A 4D is on
battery 2, and a cranking battery is on #1.  When I got to the boat Friday
night I noticed a strange smell.  I took the boat out, and when I'm out I
always have the selector on battery 2 saving 1 in case the stereo,
refrigerator, etc. kills the 4D.  After about an hour, it was time to come
in and I tried to start the engine on battery 2.  It wouldn't start from
this battery.

The smell continued through the weekend although the boat was open to air
out.  Sunday I went for a pump out, motoring about 20 minutes to get there.
As always, this was done on battery 2.  After the pump out, we headed back
to the dock, and the boat still smelled.  It was at this point that I found
the boiling battery, switched from battery 2 to battery 1 and grabbed the
fire extinguisher.

After seeing that my charger is a Xantrex True Charge 20, not the OEM, and
noting that the smell was there whether the batteries were charging from the
alternator or the charger, my thought was that the battery had gone bad,
particularly since the cranking battery seems fine.