[C320-list] Main Halyard length

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu May 17 18:46:14 PDT 2012

I'm pretty sure that we bought 110' for our 2001 model (non-furling) and
still have plenty of extra when the main is down.

The procedure we use to drop the mainsail has the helms person initially
holding the halyard when the cleat is released.  We usually have someone at
the mast who steps on the line (not barefoot) and controls how fast the main
drops while controlling/monitoring the flaking.

So we wanted it long enough to easily reach the back of the boat with the
halyard fully dropped so you could still single-handedly drop the main
without not too much extra line.