[C320-list] Engine Coolant

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu May 17 19:04:22 PDT 2012

Bob-On a cold engine, remove the coolant cap on the top of the engine and
check to see if the coolant level is up to the cap level or below.  If below
add same color coolant to the engine, put the cap back on and then fill the
reservoir halfway up to the full level.  After motoring enough to get the
engine hot, check the reservoir level and add more to the reservoir if
needed.  This way you will know if the coolant level is dangerously low.
Just filling the reservoir might not help get any coolant into an under
filled engine coolant system, since the fluid only drains from the reservoir
into the engine after a hot engine has cooled down which results in a slight
vacuum that pulls the coolant into the engine from the reservoir.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)