[C320-list] Generators

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun May 20 17:20:01 PDT 2012

Herb-You need to consider the start up amperage needed (inductive loading)
to start the motors for the AC to determine the wattage of generator needed.
Once you get through the inductive loading pead and the motors are up and
running, they require a lot less amperage.  Check out the Honda site which
has inductive loading guidelines for various types of electrical motors to
see what spec is needed for your AC.  I assume your AC is a 120 volt system.
You will need to get the hp and amps requirements from your AC motors or
your owners manual.  Also, if you want to run computers you need some
specific sine wave patterns that the Honda site documents.   Sometimes you
can cheat and use a smaller wattage generator and get away with it, but you
risk generator cut out or damage to the AC motors having insufficient amps
to start up.

>From what I have seen on the market and from C320 chat, you could pick up a
fairly high wattage (2000 watts) light weight Honda or equivalent generator
for a little over $1000.  They are elegant, light weight, pricy machines
(compared to the $450 Wal-Mart offering having 2000 watts, but weighting 90
lbs.) and really quiet.  I have one for my basement sump pump and if ever
needed can be run in an outdoor sheltered location.  The problem, is they
have 4 cycle gas engines so you need to deal with safely storing gasoline
and the generator with a quart or more of gasoline.  I don't think you would
pass a Coast Guard inspection with a gallon can of gasoline stored anywhere
below deck in anything but an approved gasoline tank like in a power fuel
tank.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)