[C320-list] Generators

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sun May 20 17:47:32 PDT 2012

Herb - Following is what I have from my archives. - Allan

Hi Allan:

I installed the Mastervolt generator and posted on the 320 site. What can I
do for you?

Regards,
Robert Lupton
LIFE SAVER #819
Howdy Allan,
Sorry for the delay, out and about trying to catch some wind. I've whistled
for it and scratched the backstays, still no wind here in South Florida.
Mastervolt's site http://www.mastervolt.com/products.asp  Diesel single
cylinder Kubota water cooled engine. Eats up about 1/3 gallon per hour and
never gets shut off when we are anchored. Cost was $11,000 installed with
the remote control panel and split wet/dry exhaust system. It weighed in at
around 200 lb. and I lead ballasted with 300 lb. starboard in the cubby
above the battery box and in the box as well. Air conditioning (the reason I
installed the generator) at 16,000 BTU runs the genset to about 60% of
capacity together with the battery charging system on. It will run at
maximum capacity if I turn all 120 volt equipment (microwave, hot water
heater, TV, VCR, etc.) on with air conditioning at the same time.

I would do it again and now look at it as essential equipment. The
installation is not that difficult and I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it
myself for a savings of a few thousand dollars. I would add the option of a
steel plate they offer (a $400 piece of steel, wow) to cut down on sound and
vibration. The additional weight of 80 kgs. held me back on the first go
around. But if the air conditioner was located under the salon seat (port
side) as I have seen others do, the weight would not be as much of a factor
or concern. I have heard good things about Norpro with its two cylinder 1800
RPM (the Mastervolt 120 volt is 3000 RPM) set up but again it is another 100
lb. or so heavier. Price tag on the Norpro is about $6500. Fisher-Panda also
makes a really nice unit but cost is really way up there.

Regards,
Robert