[C320-list] GENNAKER

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Wed May 30 06:24:38 PDT 2012

I have a block attached to the aluminum bail on the anchor roller. The tack line runs through this block and back to a cam cleat on the side of the cabin next to the genoa track. I have two blocks attached to the base of the stern pulpit at the aft end of the boarding gates for the sheets. You can use a jib halyard if you plan to jibe the gennaker inside the headstay, or a spinnaker halyard (better) if you plan to jibe the sail outside the headstay. We have an ATN Spinnaker Sleeve (http://www.atninc.com/atn-spinnaker-sleeve.shtml )to tame the sail on the hoist and douse, but rarely use it anymore, and an ATN Tacker (http://www.atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml ) to keep it in close to the centerline. This is less necessary when sailing deep, but very helpful when close to the wind.

The retractable bowsprit is a great idea, but a considerably more expensive and elaborate option. Although I haven't seen one on a C320, I have sailed on a J33 that has added the retractable sprit and it is VERY competitive. It allows for a bigger sail (bigger than a full sized symmetrical spinnaker), with an associated reduction in handicap. The only furling gennaker I've heard of is a Code Zero, which is a flatter sail generally used for sailing with the wind ahead of the beam. It seems that this sail, with the retractable sprit would be the best performance option, but a sailmaker familiar with your local waters and how you want to use the sail would be the best source of advice on that.

DENNY BROWNE
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach, CA
Denny at DennyBrowne.com