[C320-list] GENNAKER

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Wed May 30 09:48:43 PDT 2012

Maria
We also use a douser for the gennaker and a single line for a sheet. To
tack we douse the sail, throw it past the forestay, carry the sheet to the
other side. and raise the douser sock.

We use the horn of aft cleats for the Gennaker sheets and feed them to the
winches.
We don't use the Gennaker that much so we don't bother with a block at the
aft cleat

We also mount a block to the anchor support bale for the tack line

Then we pull the line for the Cunningham hook/reefing hook forward to the
bow in a big loop and make a double bowline or figure eight knot to make a
loop.  Pull that loop forward outboard of the mainsheet deck mounted block
so it has a clear run to the cabin top winch. Then the tack line goes
forward of the pulpit , thru the block and gets tied to the loop made in
the reefing line with an easily untied bowline..

Then the tack can be adjusted from the cockpit using the cabin top winch.

It  generally a bit of a job to rig that gennaker and so we only rig it
when we know we have a really long run to make,because its a job to tack it
since we only use a single sheet line.

But its beautiful once its up and drawing and makes it worth the job of
getting it rigged.
Irv Grunes
2001 #851