[C320-list] Another fuel tank bites the dust

Bruce Heyman bruceheyman at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 05:50:50 PST 2012

Larry,
Sorry to hear that you are joining the weeping fuel tank club.  I'm still in
the midst of my replacement project but here is what I'm doing and have
learned.

I was NOT able to get the fuel tank out without removing the shelf above it.
Unless you grind off the frames tabbed into the hull I don't think it is
physically possible to remove the tank.  I was prepared to grind it of and
re-glass a new frame in place.  When I measured on my boat #671 it looked
like the physics would prevent it from coming out even if I removed the
tabbed in frame.

It was quite difficult removing the shelf as the area is full of hoses,
wires and ventilation.  My 16,000 btu unit has no clearance vertically,
zero.  Further complicating things, the center line of the shelf was
directly under the compressor and the aft cabin air handler.  I ended up
removing all of the fasteners holding down the air handler and the
compressor and then moving around hoses and wires until I could shove both
units as far to starboard as possible.  I was then able to "deconstruct" the
centerline portion of the shelf. Thank goodness the shelf was fabricated
with two sides!

Once the shelf was out it is a piece of cake (relatively).  Just follow Jon
V's directions and you will have no problem.

I just purchased four custom made fuel tanks from a local manufacturer here
in San Diego for a tall ship we are building in a park.  Two of them are 500
gallons and I pressure tested them with the USCG who was very impressed with
the quality and skill of the tank manufacturer.  I discussed my C320's tank
situation with him and he, without hesitation, pointed out that it was a
corrosion leak.  After 12 years the probability of a weld failure not due to
corrosion is zero.  If he repaired it we both concluded that it would only
be a short time before it started leaking somewhere else.

Since the hard part is the removal I didn't like the thought of doing this
again in a couple of years.

While I sent some probes to a couple of plastic fuel tank manufactures that
never yielded any positive results.  I also never researched any coatings.
Perhaps I should have researched the possibility of mixing some coating,
poring it into the tank and then rolling the tank around until the inside
was fully coated.  I've heard stories of this working but not sure if it is
just an urban legend that would be busted by Myth Busters.

The original tank manufacture is out of business (?) but all of the blue
prints were bought by a company named All-Right Welding, LC in Utah.  They
are currently manufacturing an almost exact replacement for me.  Total cost
has been quoted as $587.76.  This includes shipping and all of the tank
innards and parts.  Not excited about the price but the boat is dead in the
water and the holding tank is filling up.

You can call them at: (801) 785-6749 or email them at Kevin:
allrightwelding at qwestoffice.net.  So far they have been easy to deal with.

Feel free to call me if you need help with the profansaurous.

Best,
Bruce
Somerset #671 currently in San Diego
949 289-8400