[C320-list] Mysterious water leak C320 Hull 78

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:59:36 PDT 2012

Jeff

The strut flange is the logical point of concern, but it seems odd that
there would be no moisture around the packing gland if the leak was from
the strut flange.  It looks like the packing gland is lower than the strut
flange.

Two water sources in the area that you describe would be the raw water
intake for the engine and galley sink thru hulls.   A thru hull may be
closed, but if the valve is leaking and the hose is compromised at some
point, you would have a leak.  You could remove the hoses from the thru
hulls to verify that they are in fact shut off.
There is also an air gap on the Port side.  It should only leak if the
duckbill is backwards/clogged and the engine is running, but maybe I have
that wrong and it's easy to ckeck.

Chris has suggested talcom powder to trace a leak.  We have used paper
towels.  The news paper that was suggested may be stiff enough to feed into
an area where you can't see.

Good luck on your troubleshooting.

Pat, 801