[C320-list] double main sheet control?

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:35:23 PDT 2012

 Having sailed for 50+ years on boats with only one main sheet, I'll admit
to being totally perplexed with the port and starboard sheet arrangement on
the 320, especially when going upwind in anything other than light air.

My instincts tell me that hardening the upwind sheet should pull the boom
down and also bring it to windward (recognizing that the traveler also
determines boom alignment).  To do this, do you slack the downwind sheet?
 When I do this, the boom moves quickly downwind, making it even harder to
pull the boom and sail to the upwind side, often requiring putting the
sheet on the winch and cranking hard.  Is there a protocol?

thanks,
gene
Satori #398
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
PERMANENT address:
    498 Shoreland Dr., Lopez Is., WA 98261
    (360) 468-2136
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day,
Teach a man to fish and he'll deplete the
      oceans."

The Book of Bob, Ironies 24:7