[C320-list] Winterizing in northeast

Tony Murphy tony at midwestphysics.com
Fri Sep 14 09:56:36 PDT 2012

I¹m no mechanic, but I would think the reason to change the oil before
storing for winter would be to clear out the contaminants that have built up
over the summer in the oil.  This includes trace amounts of dirt/sludge and
a larger amount (not sure how much) of acidic components resulting from the
combustion process.

I would rather have clean oil sitting next to my cylinder heads for 6-7
months or more rather than all that other unknown stuff which react
detrimentally with the inside of my engine.  In fact, I will probably change
my oil a few days before haulout when I can run the engine up to temp
(easier to remove hot oil) and then run the clean oil for a short period at
least throughout the engine. This way, everything is as clean as possible
inside (sorta).

A question for those experienced though... Do you really change out your
engine antifreeze/coolant on an annual basis?  I saw another poster elude to
this and didn¹t think it was necessary.

Ditto for tranny fluid??

Tony
Bella Sol #886