[C320-list] Winterizing in northeast

Myron Welch myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 14 13:58:10 PDT 2012

Tony,

I went for about 10 years before I learned how to change the
antifreeze/coolant.  I finally changed it when I had to replace the
water heater, so I drained the entire system, including the lines to
the water heater. I was always concerned about getting air in those
lines, but managed not to somehow.  Now I just drain from the drain
plug and add a little over a gallon a year. I never get it all, but it
keeps the antifreeze/coolant in good condition and I don't have to
mess with the heater hoses and potential air in the lines.  Hope this
helps.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument #238
Iowa City, Iowa
Grace Memorial Harbor, Elk Rapids, Michigan

On Sep 14, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Tony Murphy wrote:

> I’m no mechanic, but I would think the reason to change the oil before
> storing for winter would be to clear out the contaminants that have
> built up
> over the summer in the oil.  This includes trace amounts of dirt/
> sludge and
> a larger amount (not sure how much) of acidic components resulting
> from the
> combustion process.
>
> I would rather have clean oil sitting next to my cylinder heads for
> 6-7
> months or more rather than all that other unknown stuff which react
> detrimentally with the inside of my engine.  In fact, I will
> probably change
> my oil a few days before haulout when I can run the engine up to temp
> (easier to remove hot oil) and then run the clean oil for a short
> period at
> least throughout the engine. This way, everything is as clean as
> possible
> inside (sorta).
>
> A question for those experienced though... Do you really change out
> your
> engine antifreeze/coolant on an annual basis?  I saw another poster
> elude to
> this and didn’t think it was necessary.
>
> Ditto for tranny fluid??
>
> Tony
> Bella Sol #886
>

> On 9/14/12 11:33 AM, "Gene Helfman" <genehelfman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although we don't face the kind of winter here in the Pacific
>> Northwest
>> that you frozen easterners/mid-westerners do, we still tend to lay
>> up for
>> the winter because of relative cold and very windy winters.  Opinion
>> amongst my fellow sailors is to put off oil and tranny fluid change
>> until
>> the spring, during recommissioning (why put in good oil if the
>> engine isn't
>> going to be run).  Also, where do folks stand on the full (and
>> preserved)
>> fuel tanks vs. empty.  Most folks here like to have the tank fuller
>> prevent condensation, but with a preservative/algicide added.
>>
>> gene
>> Satori, #398

Dr. Myron Welch
Director of Bands Emeritus
Professor of Music
Collegiate Fellow, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
The University of Iowa