[C320-list] Camcleat lock

Jack McDonough mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 15 17:38:03 PDT 2012

Interesting question. I have never understood the purpose of that red bar.
If the main sheet runs UNDER the red bar the clam cleat may or may not hold
the sheet, preventing it from moving. My experience is that more often than
not it will NOT hold the sheet and the main will run free. On the other
hand, it sometimes WILL hold the sheet when you want the main to run free.
If you lead the sheet OVER the red bar, what's the purpose of the bar being
there?

My solution is this: If I want the main  to run free, I feed four or five
feet of the sheet free in FRONT of the red bar, thus ensuring that the damn
thing doesn't seize when I'm trying to maneuver under power through the
mooring area. Once I'm clear and want the main sheet to be cleated down, I
secure it to the cabin top winch (which I then no longer need for raising
the main.)

Jack