[C320-list] Posting to the list

Simon Rock simonrock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 12:58:15 PDT 2013

Hi,

As many know, I have always supported the use of a forum format over email
lists. So I thought I would correct some misconceptions that Jeff raised in
his response.

1. I would not suggest an externally run forum. Been done that road many
years ago, and it ends in disaster.
2. Content history remains on the email lists, but all new content would be
in the forum.
3. As the admin on several forums (including sites with several thousand
active members), spam/hacking/virus injections are all catered for in modern
forum software, and are not a valid reason to delay a forums introduction.

But, I do dislike the current trend for forums to include advertisements at
the top of each page. I know this is used to pay for the site. Instead, we
run a raffle that raises the money required (less than $200/year). Our last
raffle raised enough to run the site for 4 years!

BTW, products like Tapatalk, enable smartphones to access forums and has
become the standard for many forums.

I know the admins will do the best for the association, and I appreciate the
work they do to keep the email list moving along.

Cheers
Simon

Here are a few things to note about the list.

Eventually this will improve and be more modern, but as we keep saying, with
externally run forums like Google/Yahoo etc., we don't own the discussion
history and it gets culled at their discretion.  We're don't want to lose
our content history.  We can run our own web-based forum, but we run the
risk of our domain name being marked as a Spam site if we then choose to
allow email notifications for following threads and it's much harder to
protect against hacks and virus injection.

Bruce, in the Upper Right corner of the website (on every page) is a Search

Cheers!
-Jeff

PS:  All the things voiced are real concerns and hearing them really helps
us know where to put our focus first.  So don't be afraid to drop
suggestions in the Contact Us form on the website.  They all get stored in a
database that we can review and prioritize.