[C320-list] PSS Shaft Bellows Placement

Bruce Hunter swampcreek42 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 7 17:32:04 PDT 2013

Getting ready to splash, I figured I'd check the PSS Dripless seal since it dribbled here and there when we had the boat for the 6 short weeks last year before we pulled it. I loosened the collar set screws and slid the SS collar foreward to see if the bellows had any compression, it didn't, it was basically fully relaxed but by maybe 1/16" (Yes I took a before measurement). At this position it left very little clearance for bellows compression. Looking at the instructions it says NOT to place the bellows too far aft but to only go as far down on the shaft housing as the bellows collar length. I did as the instructions said and compressed the bellows just about 3/4". I also backed up the SS collar using a shaft anode as a security clamp. I also noticed the bellows actually went over a rubber bushing and not directly to the bare shaft housing, I didn't see that in the instructions but it looks like it came with the kit. Anyway I think I have it
 right, just checking here to see how anyone who has this on their 320 would have any input.

Thanks,
Bruce
Nauti Time #719