[C320-list] stuffing box issues

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Apr 13 07:35:02 PDT 2013

Hi Barb,

One more thing you could try if the lightly tightening doesn't work.  That
is to tighten it firmly to the point where you can't turn the shaft a bit.
This may squeeze the packing back into a form that will seal.  Then back it
off until the shaft turns hard by hand (with still quite a bit of drag).
Start the engine and put it in gear for a minute or two.

Then back it off just slightly like 1/8 or less of a turn.  Run the engine
again and see if it heats up or leaks.  If it leaks but doesn't get
noticeably warm after running for a few minutes, you could tighten it some
more.

-Jeff