[C320-list] Port Light Size

Donald Dixon donauw at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 18 10:06:23 PDT 2013

I replaced the forward two port lights this morning.  I will take pictures when I do the remaining two in the main cabin.

In short, this is an easy job.  Its a straight trade out size-wise.  Took about an hour.

Remove the screws and the inner retaining device.  SAVE THE SCREWS - you will need some of the longer ones on the replacement (does not come with long screws).

Use a putty knife to separate the outer/main old port light from the hull (readily obvious why leaking!).

Remove old port light.

Clean around cutout - (used putty knife and acetone).

Place bedding compound around new port-light (I used Bomar hatch tape left over from last year's rebedding of hatches, Lewmar recommends silicone).  Sadly, Pompanette/Bomar no longer stocks this.

Line it up, screw the inner device to the outer while lining it up.

Cut the plastic trim liner to the correct thickness - this is the most irritating part of the job! - and fit it.

Looks much better and NO leaks!

Regards,

Don Dixon
Stargazer, #605