[C320-list] Cleaning winch

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:38:36 PDT 2013

Jeff, I believe the Lewmar folks recommend cleaning the winch parts in liquid parafin which is nothing more than clear lamp oil.  I does a nice job of degreasing without the drying effects of acetone and no more expensive.  I've been doing this for years.  Don't use grease on the pawls or the pawl ratchet, use only light machine oil.  Grease in the pawls will bind them up and they will stop working.  Lewmar has instructions on their web site.Warren Updike1997 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62 To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:29:31 -0700
Subject: [C320-list] Cleaning winchI've disassembled my Lewmar winch and was attempting to degrease everything using mineral spirits. I didn't have enough so I went to Lowes to buy more but I found out they no longer supply mineral spirits in my area due to new regulations. The salesman suggested acetone which is doing a very poor job. Any suggestions on a degreasing agent?

Jeff Brown
949-350-5123