[C320-list] Outhaul with Mainsail Change

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 08:33:51 PST 2013

I went to lose footed main this past season and love it.  Easing out the outhaul
on board reach or dead down wind made a big difference in speed.   I did not
change the internal boom block arrangement and didn't experience much of a
problem.  You have to remember to pull the outhaul back when reaching or
close-hauled BEFORE the sail fills or you won't be to do it by hand.  Since
there is no winch on the mast you'll have to luff up if you forget to do it
before the sail fills.  That's the only real issue I have found.  I toyed with
the idea of running another mast-step block arrangement to bring the outhaul
line back to the cockpit, but I'm in the habit now of automatically head to the
mast if the outhaul is loose if we tacking.

Mike Ott
'Amanda Lu'