[C320-list] new mainsail and genoa

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Feb 6 12:30:27 PST 2013

I have hull 894 with a new UK loose footed main and tape drive Genoa for
2012 season. I had a Dutchman system installed on the loose footed main
after checking with Dutchman.  The Dutchman folks told me that their system
works fine on loose footed mains.  It has 2 monofilaments and tabs and works
fine.  The tabs slide into the bolt rope slot on the boom.  The main does
not have full length battens for better sail shape so when you lower the
main you have to tidy the leach a little, but that is not a problem.  I do a
lot of solo sailing and am very satisfied with this setup.  I have a large
outhaul sail slug holding the clew to the boom.  It's a few inches long and
I believe Teflon coated and 15/32' diameter.  They are available from
Sailrite.  It's attached to the sail with strong tubular webbing.  A tubular
webbing strap was considered by the sail maker, but there is a small eye
fitting on the bottom of my Charleston boom and it didn't look like a nylon
strap would slide over the eye when adjusting the outhaul.

The Dutchman system was their A system without the block at the top of the
topping lift and no clam cleat at the boom.  It works better than the OEM
Dutchman C system that came with the boat 11 years ago.  No slots in the
main cover are needed.  I just loosen the topping lift a foot or so to get
the main cover on and then tie a rolling hitch to the topping lift near the
end of the boom and clip it to the end of the boom to keep both the
monofilaments and topping lift taught.

I am XO or Waukegan Sail and Power Squadron and last night we had a free
sail and rig tuning seminar by Chris Nielsen of Nielsen Sail in Racine, WI.
He said that loose footed is the way to go on the main.  Fifteen years ago
sail makers were worried about spillage of wind with a loose footed sail
compared to the traditional one with bolt rope connecting the entire main
foot to the boom.  He said wind tunnel experiments proved the concern wrong.
He said you get much better lower sail shape resulting in better
performance.  My one year of a loose footed sail confirms this.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894 (2002)